Car Export

Car Export

Taking a vehicle out of the UK

Please choose one of following:

  1. For 12 months or more
  2. For less than 12 months
  3. Newly bought vehicles

1. For 12 months or more

If you’re taking a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for 12 months or more (also known as permanent export) you need to:

  1. Tell DVLA by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (logbook).
  2. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD.
  3. Keep the rest of your V5C registration certificate – you might need this to register your vehicle abroad.

If you don’t have a V5C registration certificate

You’ll need to get one using form V62 The address to send it to is on the form.

If you’ve already left the UK

You’ll need to get a V561 certificate of permanent export. Apply for one using form V756. The address to send it to is on the form.

Moving your vehicle between Great Britain and Northern Ireland

You don’t need a V561 certificate of permanent export if you’re moving between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Fill in the change of address section on your V5CNI or V5C registration certificate and send it to DVLA.


Personalised registrations

You’ll need to transfer or retain your personalised registration before exporting your vehicle. Otherwise you’ll lose your right to the registration number.



2. For less than 12 months

If you’re taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (also known as temporary export) you don’t need any special documentation.

But a UK-registered vehicle exported temporarily remains subject to UK law. That means that you need to make sure it is taxed in the UK while it’s abroad.

To do this it’ll need a current MOT certificate and insurance.

You’ll also need to make sure you meet any international or national conditions for licensing and taxation.

Bringing your vehicle back untaxed

If you bring your vehicle back to the UK untaxed you can’t drive it back into the UK – it’ll have to be transported and a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) must be made straight away.

Taking hired vehicles abroad temporarily

You’ll need a VE103 vehicle on hire certificate to show you’re allowed to use a hire vehicle if you’re driving it abroad.

You can get a VE103 for a fee from the:


3. Newly bought vehicles

If you buy a brand new vehicle to take out of the UK (also known as supply of a ‘New Means of Transport’) you don’t have to pay UK VAT or vehicle taxes such as the registration fee.

Within the EU

If you’re buying the new vehicle to take elsewhere in the EU you won’t have to pay VAT if you:

  • take it out of the UK within 2 months
  • don’t drive the vehicle in the UK unless you register and tax it

Your supplier will get you to fill in form VAT 411.

You’ll have to declare your vehicle and pay VAT in the other country when you get there.

Exports outside the EU

You may be able to use the Personal Export Scheme to export a new or used vehicle outside the EU.

This means that when you buy a new vehicle and export under the scheme, you don’t pay UK VAT. But you still have to pay vehicle taxes and the registration fee.

Who can use this scheme

You can use the scheme if you’re:

  • from outside the EU
  • an EU resident who’s leaving the EU for at least 6 months

You usually have to be personally driving your vehicle to a non-EU country.

What you need to do

Fill in form VAT 410 (your supplier will give you a copy) and give it to your supplier.

You can drive the vehicle in the UK for up to 6 months after the delivery date (or 12 months for non-EU residents) – it must then be exported.

The date for export of the vehicle is shown on the VX302 (for new cars) or the VAT 410 (for used cars).

After export send the DVLA the:

  • VX302 – new vehicles
  • V5C – second-hand vehicles

If you don’t export the vehicle on time you’ll have to pay the UK VAT.


Any other question please contact us